Tuesday, March 9, 2010

SEX And The City

In my opinion, SEX And The City, continues to be a mega-hit because we see ourselves in each and every one of those women. Miranda represents the Masculine Us out in the world fully engaged in the process of To-Do lists, envisioning societal structures and building them into law. Charlotte is the encapsulation of the Eros Us: searching for and releasing deep love with her friends, her men, her children and her beloved art. And, Carrie is the Seeker Us, illuminating deeper levels of self-awareness and connection with others.

I embrace and identify with them in their transparency and deeply admire how each character’s choices trace back to their unique North Star: doing the right thing, giving and receiving love, or evolving the consciousness of New York City.

However, for me (and maybe others of you), Samantha is the most exciting, the most outrageous, and sometimes the most difficult character to watch and identify with because of her full and unabashed embodiment of the SEXUAL Goddess Us. Her libido is her North Star. She never takes her eyes (or other body parts) off the prize. And, to make it worse (or better) she makes no apologies and takes no prisoners. Diving deep (sorry) into SEXUAL foreplay, SEXUAL excitement and SEXUAL gratification are her ways of being, and if she has no partner, she makes no bones about taking care of herself (thank you very much).

It has been a very long time since I had SEX (with another breathing body), and I am afraid I have lost my desire for it. Once, many moons ago, desire was my bright and brilliant North Star, but now I can’t find it anywhere on my astrophysical chart. (And, trust me Honey, I’ve looked.)

Now don’t get me wrong. Vibrators are great. They do the trick (sorry), and my life can go on with my Miranda, my Charlotte, and my Carrie selves, but I really don’t want it to. I am tired of feeling like an amputee, a three legged table: incomplete, unfulfilled, and top heavy (sorry again).

Okay, I’m just gonna say it. I’ve tried, but my life can’t climax without Samantha. I need her passion born of the juice, the force, the joy, the adventure, the passion and celebration of being born female. And while she is the symbol of SEXUAL passion expressed mano-a-woman-o (and more), Samantha’s passion also underlies and infuses the lives of her co-stars. Her energy gives Miranda the courage to stand up to her convictions, Charlotte the ferocity to love in the face of all odds, and Carrie the fire to dig deep and welcome, witness, and name who she is.

Simply, Samantha gives us the courage to live our lives “balls (or vaginas) out.”

I feel hopeful now as I remember that in the movie, even Samantha lost her way and her passion. And if she can get her groove back, so can I. All I need are my three closest friends and free-flowing Cosmos.

No comments:

Post a Comment