Monday, March 22, 2010

The Metaphor, The Muse, and The Magician

I know. I said I thought I was done. However, since my last post, I have been hearing a gentle but persistent knocking at my door. I decided to ignore it. Yesterday, I was home after dropping my son off at his father’s place, 4 miles but light years away from mine. Again, I heard the knocking, but I just wanted to be alone. I wanted to tend to my anguish without having to put on a “face,” and entertain company. Go away. I’m not buying today.

I turned on some music, so I could sleep through the knocking last night. This morning while making coffee, I heard it again…gentle but persistent. I opened the door, and there they were: the Metaphor, the Muse, and, behind them, the Magician.

I had to let them in because, as soon as I saw them, I started to cry.

I had to let them in because, as soon as I saw them, I felt lifted from my tiny anguished perspective into a more expansive place.

I had to let them in because they have been saving my life for the past year.

By now, I know the Metaphor and the Muse pretty well. The Muse writes this blog through me and her sister, Metaphor, gives us the phrases and the images and hands us the threads we weave together. No one has been more shocked than I am to learn that these women are in my body and, that in the simple act of sharing about my process in a public forum, I could lead my life in this blog induced way. They guide me to places I never imagined existed within the landscape of me. I have come to love the writing because it transforms me out of my self and into my Self, and, along the way, I hope with all my heart that it helps others on their journey as well.

On an energetic level, I recognized the Metaphor and the Muse immediately, but, honestly, I am a bit perplexed by the Magician. First of all (and please keep this under your hat), I don’t know if the Magician is male or female (and I am kinda afraid to ask). He/She simply introduced Him/Herself like this (and I quote), “Hello. I am the Magician. Please make no assumptions about my skills based on the fact that I did not engage my powers to open your door. There is Power in the manifestation of magic, miracles, and synchronicity, but there is also Power in restraint.”

Intimidating, right??...Or is it just me??

I will say this. Yesterday, when I dropped my son off, something died. It was in the car with us. We both said goodbye to it. It was gone. I have a very strong feeling that there is a connection between the disappearance of that relational dynamic and the appearance of this mysterious Magician. I have an inkling or two as to who this Magician might be, but I am going to take His/Her advice and restrain from coming to any hasty conclusions. (See, I’m learning this restraint thing already)

Let’s see what appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment