Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Joseph’s Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat…

…is hanging in my closet. I just noticed it this morning.

I must admit that I have seen it before (and I’m not talking about watching the stage production).

Except that the last few times I saw it, another woman was wearing it. It was hard to tell who she was because she was very far away. I did notice she had red hair (which kind of piqued my interest).

The times I envisioned her in it, the power of the Dreamcoat radiated through space to me where I stood. The glow, the magnificence of the colors and the patterns and the fabric and the style met me as I stood and received it like a 5’2” wave at Easton’s Beach. It literally washed over me. I thought to myself, “That’s one powerful coat, and she’s gotta be one amazing woman.” At the same time it was, honestly, frightening. I was glad she was wearing it and not me.

I forgot all about it.

Then I found it in my closet this morning right there in front of me next to my grey wool pants.

My first thought was “What is that coat doing here?” My second thought was, “What took me so long to see it?”

I feel surprisingly comforted knowing that the Dreamcoat is this close to me. It has entered my sphere of possibility, and I revel in thinking about it while I am at work. It’s waiting patiently (as it always has) for me to decide to put it on.

I know that once it is on my body, a part of my fashion-forward life, I will merge with its power, its beauty, its radiance, its joy. The colors I have so longed to know about myself will embody me, connect, and reunite with something very deep in me. And the Dreamcoat and I will be one; a perfect fit.

I will be visible. I will be IN my life. I will once again experience the divine lightness of my Being.

Maybe I will try it on when I get home from work, just for fun. Or maybe tomorrow. Or maybe the next time I am with my sisters. I am not in a hurry. It is all colorfully and uniquely mine. Ready to wear. No alterations required.

I know when I am ready, it will fly off the rack to me like one of those great finds at Filene’s Basement. And I will hear my mom say (like she used to), ” Beautiful. It was meant for you.”

Oh, and tomorrow morning when you are in your closet look right there, in front of you, next to your grey wool pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment